18.9.07

Inspiration while riding bicycle

I Left my Heart in the first Rickshaw I saw this Morning
(Sung to the tune of a Frank Sinatra song or a hammer hitting something hard just outside your window, whichever prevails)

Oh India, maybe we can be friends
You’ve lead me to a place with fresh bread
So I can make sandwiches for lunches, yes
Sandwiches for lunches
Veggi Sandwiches of course

You’ve lead me many places down many dusty roads
You’ve shown me I can buy pants and get them tailored
Two shops down, tailored just two shops down

You’ve shown me there’s a Teacher’s Colony
Where I can take a Spanish class, just down the road
Yes, just down the road past the “Coffee Day”
Where young Indians go for casual dating you will find
An American in India taking a Spanish class with nine other Indians, yes nine other Indians and a Costa Rican teacher, what a world what a world

But India, I have so many questions for you
Like why doesn’t Coffee Day open until 10:30
Which is far too late India, don’t you know this
I need to be at work by 10:00 and must have coffee by then

Why can alcohol only be served in hotels with 20+ rooms?
I ask this of you specifically Tamil Nadu, since every state varies in their liquor laws
Yes every state varies because you are so diverse India
And so ancient
Overlapping and contradicting
Do you have plans for the future India?
Will your villages and cities grow together?
Will you help the world survive? Will you lead by example when you become a leader?
Will you become a leader?

Yes we could be friends India
You leave cows by the side of the road for me
And hints about how to find DJs and dance music, which is not really my thing
But it’s interesting, oh always interesting, yes you like it that way don’t you?
But then you rip me off and you know India,
You are not really so cheap anymore

You are growing so rapidly India, how long can the auto rickshaws keep up?
Where will all the drivers go? Where will they nap?
By the side of which road? They can’t ride the subway to work can they? No, they can’t!

But yes we could be friends India
Worthwhile friends take time; I’ve had a few
Your water is so warm, your nights so dark
It’s not easy to get to know you

No comments: